Growing up in Scotland I watched a few American tv shows. Mostly comedies. Friends, Will and Grace, Frasier, and way back in the day, Cheers. They were and still are my reference for all things American. Long live stereotypes.
So, I thought I would take this opportunity to share with y’all some great British TV shows that may have flown under your radar.
- Downton Abbey – If you have been living under a rock you may have missed out on this incredible series. It is available on Amazon Prime. A very British period drama.
- The Fall – Jamie Dornan is fantastically terrifying in this psychological thriller.
- Doctor Who – While I myself am not a huge fan of The Doctor, he has a huge cult following within sci-fi circles.
- Outnumbered – A sitcom based around the trials and tribulations of raising kids. Lighthearted fun.
- Sherlock – Benedict Cumberbatch portrayal of a modern day Dr. Holmes with his sidekick Watson is riveting viewing.
- Broadchurch – There was an American attempt on Fox which I watched with much anticipation, but it never lived up to the British series.
- Marcella – This British detective show is excellent for binge watching. It begins with the main character in a bath of blood and the intrigue continues the entire season.
- The Great British Bake Off – My personal favorite. I love nothing more than snuggling up on the sofa with a cup of tea watching this show. It streams on the PBS app and Netflix. I can’t explain it but its therapeutic. If you have seen the American version, please do not be deterred. This is a completely different show.