Summer is here and we know you are searching for ideas to stay cool and BEAT THE HEAT! Because let’s be honest; that South Texas heat is torture. It’s hell. It’s having to constantly wear your hair up in an attempt to not look like you just got out of the pool or like you just finished a half marathon. It’s walking around all day with as little clothing on as you can before you are deemed naked.
SO. For those reasons, we have come up with a pretty good list of ways to stay cool and beat that heat this summer.
- The water hose. Who doesn’t love a good water hose?! Usually I just let my kids strip down and chase each other with it. Of course, you could always just hook yours up to a sprinkler and not look as backwoods as my kids (who also HAVE to make mud. They HAVE to.)
- Find a local pool if you don’t already have one in your backyard or neighborhood. Keep in mind that kiddie pools are not absent from this list. I have lounged many a time with a beverage in my hand in a kiddie pool. Not ashamed at all.
- THE BEACH. We live in Corpus. This is a no brainer.
- Hurricane Alley This place is perfect. It’s not too big but it’s not too small and they have an adorable area for the little kiddos.
- Check out the Corpus Christi Schlitterbahn!
- Water balloons! Guys. Let me tell you about these new water balloons. They are the bomb dot com. They’re called Bunch O’ Balloons. They come with a straw inserted in the ends with a self-sealing o-ring. You just hook the apparatus to the hose, turn it on, and the balloons fill on their own and pop off when they’re full. No more blistered fingers and sitting in the chair for hours filling balloons slower than your kids use them!
- Bombsicles! It’s like the America way. Literally. I’m pretty sure Bombsicles built America. True story.
- Local museums, exhibits, and aquariums!
- Whataburger by the Bay. This place is amazing. It has two stories. TWO STORIES! And it’s on Shoreline Dr. so you can enjoy the bay while eating those “waterburgers” (as my kids call them.)
- Go to the movies! You’ll freeze your butt off in any movie theater we have…promise.
- Make lemonade with the kids!
- Make helmets out of watermelon rinds… after devouring the watermelon of course!
- The mall! You wouldn’t guess it but La Palmera has the cutest little play area for the kiddos upstairs. Plus it’s right next that Great American Cookies place. So yeah. Cookies.
- And if all else fails….Travel to a different state! Pretty much anything north of Colorado can be pretty delightful in the summertime.