Summer brings opportunities for family time, travel, and fun in the sun! But you can also bank on this time of year bringing us those brutal South Texas temperatures we’re all so familiar with.
That’s why our friends at Reliant are back again this summer with tips and resources to help families – and their wallets – stay cool.
Whether you choose to save money with routine maintenance or by making easy adjustments before leaving for vacation, you and your pocketbook are sure to love these tips and resources from Reliant! After all, rising temperatures don’t mean your expenses have to soar too!
Summer Energy Efficiency Tips:
- Take control of your costs by following the four-by-four principle. During the summer months, setting your thermostat four degrees higher when you’re away from home for more than four hours can help reduce electricity usage and costs. When your thermostat is set below 78°F, each degree cooler may increase your costs by up to five percent.
- Check air filters monthly and replace as necessary. A clean air filter can keep your A/C running at peak condition.
- Schedule an A/C checkup. Just as you wouldn’t take your car out for a long road trip without getting serviced, you don’t want to operate your A/C system during the long, hot summer without proper maintenance. Schedule a multi-point checkup to ensure your system is running at its best.
- Resist the urge to override your automatic A/C fan settings. Set your A/C fan to the “auto” rather than “on” position. Using the “on” setting can increase energy costs and cause heat from the attic to be transferred into your living space through the ductwork, making the A/C work harder to maintain your desired temperature.
- Rotate your ceiling fan counter-clockwise during the summer. Switch your ceiling fan to turn counter-clockwise during the summer months to create a wind chill effect for a more comfortable living environment. Also, turn off fans when you leave the room. Fans are for people not for rooms.
- Use blinds or curtains during the summer to reduce solar heat gain by up to 50 percent. Sunlight can increase the demand on your air conditioner by as much as 30 percent.
- Wash large loads, instead of several smaller ones, to cut down on electricity usage.
- Wait until your dishwasher is full before using it. This is one of the simplest ways to reduce electricity usage.
- Use microwave and toaster ovens to cook or warm food or grill outside. Using the oven in the heat of summer forces your A/C to work harder, which raises your electricity bill.
- Seal your windows with caulk or weather stripping to reduce air leaks and help maintain the desired temperature in your home year-round.
For more tips and in-depth information on keeping your home cool without breaking the bank this summer, visit www.reliant.com.
Beat the Heat Centers
The summer months can put a strain on anyone’s electricity budget. One easy way to beat the heat this summer is to get a free month of electricity with the Reliant First Month Free plan. Who wouldn’t want a free month of electricity when temperatures are at their highest? Reliant has other ways to help Texans stay cool and minimize home electricity usage. For the eighth consecutive year, the Reliant Beat the Heat Centers provide a safe and comfortable place for Corpus Christi-area residents to stay cool during the day and minimize home electricity use during the hottest summer months. Each center is open to the community for free and features air-conditioned space, bottled water, light snacks and entertainment.
The summer months can put a strain on anyone’s electricity budget. Reliant supplies electricity to public locations throughout Corpus Christi, where Texans looking for ways to stay cool and minimize home electricity usage can go all summer long. Each center is open to the entire community for free and features air-conditioned space, bottled water, light snacks and entertainment.
The below Beat the Heat Centers in Corpus Christi are open now through September 30, every Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Oveal Williams Senior Center
1414 Martin Luther King Dr.
Corpus Christi, TX 78401
Lindale Senior Center
Corpus Christi, TX 78404