Spring is here! One neat outdoor event to do with your family is to head to a local farmers market. Around the coastal bend there are a few certified farmers markets that you can experience.
I live in Alice, and our farmers market is downtown every second Saturday of the month. Farmers markets help bring a community together. Also, having these events helps local businesses by stimulating economical growth as well. If you have never been to one, here are my top 5 items that are a must when attending any outdoor farmers market with a family.
- Large Tote Bag – Be Eco-Friendly and hold your items in a large tote bag. You could even have a bag for different types of items. Just a note: Not all vendors will have bags for customers.
- Cash – Before you head out, go to an ATM and grab some cash. Many vendors do not have credit card machines on site, and if they do, you can safely bet they are paying a hefty fee for the luxury. Cash is king! While there might be an ATM machine around the area, be ready for high fees if it’s not operated by your bank. Supply and demand!
- Skin Protection Items (Bug Spray/Sunblock/Sunglasses) – Depending on the farmers market location the elements can harm you and your family, and that’s a big deal! Just have these items on before you start walking around. Safety first!
- Lawn Blanket – A lawn blanket is great for picnicking when there is no seating for your family. Depending again on the farmers market and how many people are attending, rear-end real estate might become an issue. Just flop it on the ground and enjoy a simple picnic.
- Chalk – If you have kids and want them to have outdoor fun. Let them create a fun activity with chalk while enjoying lunch. Just make sure you have a box or two around. Others might ask to join the fun. The more the merrier! Farmers markets are all about community building and reaching out to our neighbors.