With Cinco de Mayo just around the corner, it’s time to start planning your celebration!
Of course, if I had my pick of Cinco celebrations, I would definitely pick a restaurant that served bottomless, guiltless margaritas (is that even a thing?!) This year we will be at home to celebrate, and I’ve decided to share some of my favorite Mexican food recipes and a drink suggestion with you all.
Growing up, my mom made the most delicious enchiladas, and she actually made the recipe up herself (she’s talented, I know.) I think what we love about them so much is that they have refried beans mixed in with the beef! There’s a lot of changes and tweaks you could make to the recipe to make it low-carb or low calorie, like swapping flour or corn tortillas for whole wheat ones, or even doing “undone enchiladas,” which is serving the meat and bean mixture in a lettuce wrap, with the sauce drizzled on top. Check out the original recipe below.
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 small white onion, divided
- 1 envelope taco mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 can mild enchilada sauce
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6-8 corn, flour, or whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown hamburger with 2/3 of the onion. Add taco mix and water, simmer for at least 5 minutes. Add refried beans and heat thoroughly. In a glass bowl, microwave enchilada sauce and remaining onions. Microwave tortillas to soften. Put 1/3 cup meat and bean mixture with some cheese in tortilla and fold. Place in 9 x 13 pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cover tortillas with sauce and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling on top.
- Consider making your own taco seasoning, as store bought taco seasoning is full of preservatives and has a high sodium content!
I know that Taco Tuesday can sometimes get boring, at least it does for my family. A couple of years ago, we decided to change it up a little and instead of just having plain, old tacos, we do baked, hard shell tacos, or mini muffin tin tacos.
The mini muffin tin tacos always make me feel like I’m at a party! We originally made the muffin tin tacos with won-ton wrappers, but now stores have started carrying tortillas labelled “street style”, which are little, tiny, mini versions of a tortilla. These would work fabulous if you’re not into won-ton wrappers. Personally, I like the fusion of Asian and Spanish cultures in one little muffin tin, it makes me feel like I’m fancy! Another one of my go-to recipes when I am craving Mexican food is this Pampered Chef chicken enchilada ring. The great thing about this recipe is that it is quick and simple, and it also has different ways it could be tweaked to serve as a low-calorie dinner. I love the surprise lime juice tingle and the crunch from the tortilla chips when I take a bite!
Okay, on to the good part! Drinks. Seriously, y’all, who does not love a good margarita?!
Wouldn’t it be great if they weren’t loaded with sugar and calories, though? I always enjoy margaritas, but all too often I am left with the guilt that comes along with them. I decided to create a guilt-free recipe to indulge with this Cinco de Mayo. I’ve always loved sparkling, fruit flavored water, so I decided to somehow incorporate it into the recipe.
- 3 oz. 0 calorie lemon flavored sparkling water
- 1.5 oz. tequila
- fresh squeezed orange juice, to taste
- fresh squeezed lime juice, to taste
- lime slice, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients into chilled rocks glass rimmed with salt. Or a coffee cup. Or you know, whatever suits you!
- This recipe is so fun because the flavored water allows you to change it up! How fun would a watermelon margarita be, garnished with a slice of watermelon?!