Simplifying sounds easy, but is it? The next 30 days are going to be a test for my family, pray we make it.
I want to simplify for many reasons, but there are a few reasons at the top of my list. Time is one of the reasons. I don’t want to waste time trying to keep up with the Jones’.
Starting slow is how I plan to make this transition into a more simplified lifestyle, which for my family, seems like a good way to start.
The top 5 things I am changing are these.
- Making certain things at home. I already love to cook and bake. Passed down to me was a bread recipe, which I need to use more often. How much could we save by making our own bread? I’m not sure, but I am sure it will be something. Homemade jam and freezing or canning fruits and vegetables. May be time consuming, but it’s worth it.
- If we don’t need it, don’t buy it. If it worked in the 40’s, it should still work today right? Not only are we saving money, which is a plus, we’re also learning to make do with what we have. Hello life lesson for the kiddo when the college years arrive. Actually, I don’t want to think about that right now…. I digress.
- Bring back family time. Oh, the good old days, as they have been dubbed. Families would gather round the radio to listen to War of the Worlds, the news, and then the other radio shows on air. The importance of spending time together was known, which today should be on the top of every family’s list. Mom/Kid or Dad/Kid dates are great, but families have to grow together before they grow apart.
- Reuse, fix, and reuse. Not going to lie, this one may be tough for me. Running to Walmart when I need something has become so easy and normal. Finding new purpose for what some would consider junk. (If you read here you’ll see that I don’t think anything is junk.) Over time I am sure this one will become easier for me.
- Having my own garden. This one is tough right now for us. Since we are military we don’t really have the best choice of where to live unless we buy a house. Not feasible for living somewhere for 3 to 4 years, which means I may have to learn to container garden. Growing up, we had a garden and I really miss growing my own food. So this one may have to wait a few months, but that’s okay. I did say I planned on starting slow.