There’s always something fun to do around Corpus Christi, so we put together our Mom’s Guide to August. This guide to family events around Corpus Christi outlines our top picks for local activities in one place so you and your family don’t miss a thing! So, get out, try something new, and soak in all South Texas has to offer! If we’ve missed an event that’s a top pick for you and your family, let us know in the comments below!
But first, our sponsor, Reliant has some fun facts and ways for Corpus Christi area moms and families to beat this summer heat.
- Reliant’s new First Month Free plan gives customers a break on their electric bill by getting the first month covered by Reliant.
- Changing the direction of your ceiling fan to turn counter-clockwise in the summer can make you feel cooler and a programmable thermostat can help save 10 percent a year on cooling and heating costs! Reliant has more useful home energy efficiency tips perfect for the heat of summer, not to mention moving tips and green living tips too!
- Reliant knows moms lead busy lives, especially as they get the kids ready to go back to school. From keeping the kids busy throughout the week to planning one final summer getaway, it can be challenging to keep your phones and devices charged while on the go. That’s why Reliant offers portable solar power products, a great way to keep your devices charged wherever life takes you!
- Looking for an underwater adventure with your family before school starts Visit the Texas State Aquarium to experience daily dive shows, animal feedings and “hands on” programs with sharks and stingrays. And, no need to worry about your phone or camera running out of power during your visit. On-site NRG Street Charge ® solar charging stations will keep your devices powered and capturing every fun family moment all day long!
- Reliant even put together the following helpful guide for more tips on energy savings!
Learn more about Reliant and discover more home energy tips at www.reliant.com.
So, ready for those August events? Here they are!
Take the kids to La Palmera’s Children’s Area for their monthly Tide Turner’s Kid’s Club event. Story time, arts and crafts, and more! 10 am-noon.
Enjoy food, art, yoga, and even a performance by the Padre Island Ukulele Club!
Artwalk is held the first Friday of each month in the Marina Arts District. This month, you can join the Corpus Christi Caller-Times for a dedication of artist Sandra Gonzalez’s mural, “Endless Sunset: The Colors of Our City,” at 5:30 p.m.
Head out to Indian Point Pier in Portland for the 13th Annual Kid Katch Youth Fishing Tournament. The event begins at 9:00 am until noon, with fishing ending at 11 am. Children 17 and under can try out their fishing abilities and compete in three different age groups for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place “Biggest Fish.” Kid Katch is measure and release only. This is a free event, but they will be accepting donations of new school supplies for the Gregory-Portland ISD’s School Supply Drive. Free lunch and t-shirts will be provided for the first 200 children registered. Call 777-3301 for more information.
Enjoy Zootopia with the family after dark. Concessions will be provided. Don’t forget your chairs and blankets!
It’s Aloha time at Portland’s Aquatic Center from 8:00 pm until 11:00 pm. They will be hosting a “Good-bye to Summer” luau with games, music, a limbo contest, and giveaways. Regular admission prices apply.
The Aquarium at Rockport Harbor will show their last movie of the summer, The Lorax. Enjoy free popcorn and free admission to the Aquarium Education Center. Bring your own drinks. 7 pm. 706 Navigation Circle.
Head out to Whataburger Field and watch the Corpus Christi Hooks vs. Arkansas Travelers. Game begins at 6:05 pm. Kids 12 and under can run the bases following the game.
Head out to the Harbor Playhouse and enjoy this fun play based on the 1970’s cartoon, School House Rock. This show, about a teacher using catchy music to engage his students, is a perfect way for families to ease back into a new school year. School House Rock runs through September 18th.
August 19 – 21
The Peddler Show is coming to Robstown’s Richard M. Borchard Fairgrounds for the weekend. Children under 12 are free. Adults $7.00. Shop crafts, art, gifts, and more!
Kids 6 and up can participate in a special Barnes and Noble LEGO building event starting at 4 pm.
The Beach Boys “50 Years of Good Vibrations” Tour is coming to American Bank Center! Tickets go on sale June 24.
August 25 – 28
Entrance fees are waived for the weekend at Padre Island National Seashore in celebration of the National Park’s 100th Birthday!
This open air market supports local small businesses. Eat, shop, and have fun!
Please Note: Our event information is updated as we become aware of changes. However, we recommend checking with the appropriate venue or organization to confirm details prior to an event.