Don’t you just love summer? I know my family does! One of my favorite things about summer are its flavors: fresh tomatoes, watermelon, abundance of herbs… It’s a party for your mouth! So, I’m going to share some of our family’s favorite summer recipes with you, so you and yours can cool off and enjoy on a hot day.
The first on my list:
This recipe highlights so many flavors of summer that you can easily grow in your backyard: ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, sweet onions… Delicious!
For the topping:
• 3 large tomatoes or about 7 smaller tomatoes, chopped and seeded.
• 1-2 cloves of garlic, grated
• 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped basil
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ¼ – ½ chopped red onion
For the bread:
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
• 1 loaf of quality, crusty bread
1. Combine all the ingredients for the topping in a medium sized bowl.
2. Start with 1 garlic clove and ¼ chopped red onion and add more if desired.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
4. Melt butter and roast the smashed garlic in a pan.
5. Slice the loaf and grill both sides of the slices in the butter and garlic.
6. Once the bread is done, top with the topping and top with basil leaves to garnish.
Now, on to dessert. One of my favorite treats in the summer is:
This is a dessert you can feel good about eating because there are not any added sweeteners and it’s made entirely of fresh fruit and herbs. Oh, and you only use your blender and popsicle molds, so this recipe doesn’t require getting the entire kitchen dirty.
- About 6 cups of chopped watermelon (you may need to adjust this depending on your popsicle molds)
- The juice of half a lemon (or lime, or citrus fruit of your choice)
- Fresh herbs of your choice (this is optional, but tastes great with mint or basil)
- Combine all ingredients in a blended until smooth.
- Pour in your popsicle molds. You can get creative here if you like and drop in blueberries, sliced strawberries, basil leaves, ect.
- Freeze 5 hours, or overnight.
- Enjoy your refreshing treat and remember to share with your kids!